You have 2 translations files to modify in order to translate the theme to a different language:
We recommend to install and use the child theme version because when you update the main theme the files do not change.
The plugin translation – backup before you update because plugin updates override the languages folder.
This help will show:
- How to translate the languages with POEDIT or LOCO TRANSLATE plugin (from backend)
- How to translate strings that are on Theme Options
- How to update the translation .po after a theme update
1. How to translate the languages with POEDIT or LOCO TRANSLATE plugin (from backend)
How to translate the languages with LOCO TRANSLATE plugin
In order to rename theme words, you can use Loco Translate plugin.
Please see below the steps that need to be followed:
- Install Loco Translate plugin
2. Install wpresidence-child-po.zip and activate it.
3. Select the language that you have chosen in Settings-General
4. For theme languages files
-> Go to Loco Translate – Themes
-> select WpRentals Child theme
-> add New language or use an existing language from child theme
For plugin languages files
-> Go to Loco Translate – Plugins
-> select WpRentals -Theme Core Functionality
-> add New language
4. Make sure that you select the exact language and Start translating
5. Search for the words that you wish to rename and save.
How to translate the languages with POEDIT
1. Download and install POEdit. Get the free version. You do not need Pro version
2. Open wprentals.po from wprentals-child-po/languages and plugins/wprentals-core/languages
3. Set the language according to the language set in admin-Settings-General
4. Start adding the translated words for each theme string.
5. After the translation is done, you need to SAVE and rename both .po and .mo files with the proper name (for example de_DE.po). If the file name is not right the translation will not work. See this link for the proper name.
6. Upload the translated and renamed .po and . mo files in:
– themes/wprentals-child-po/languages/ folder
– plugins/wprentals-core/languages/ folder
You should have now wprentals.po, wprentals.mo + your new language po and mo.
What Details are translated from Theme Options
THERE ARE SEVERAL ITEMS THAT YOU MUST EDIT/TRANSLATE IN THEME OPTIONS.
PLEASE SEE BELOW:
- For Property Details, Property Features, Property Address – these labels are managed from Admin – Theme Options – Listing labels. Please see this help http://help.wprentals.org/2015/10/28/listing-labels/
- For Property Features & Amenities – please go and edit them in Admin – Theme Options – Listing Custom Fields –http://help.wprentals.org/2015/10/28/listings-features-and-amenities/
- For Property Fields – custom fields – please go to Listing Custom Fields – http://help.wprentals.org/2015/10/28/property-custom-fields/
NOTE: Some default properties fields are managed from POEDIT (Address fields, Bedrooms, Rooms, Bathrooms, Size). The rest are managed from admin.