Before updating Wp Rentals it’s wise to prepare everything carefully to prevent any loss of settings or customization you have made to your site. Below is our handy checklist we recommend you go through before attempting the theme update.
Backing Up First
Important before update:
- Make sure you always check the update notes – https://help.wprentals.org/article-category/change-log/
- Always backup the files and the database, in case something goes wrong with the server, use the backup to revert to the previous state.
- Backup your language (if it exists) from plugins/wprentals-core/languages/ and add it again after plugin update – https://help.wprentals.org/article/translation/
- Delete the cache after you update (server, plugin, CDN, browser and theme)
What to check after you finish the theme update:
- Update Theme core plugin- mandatory
- Clear theme and plugin cache.
Download the latest theme
Download the theme again from the Theme Forest account, where you initially purchased it. The download will be under your buyer account – Downloads. Download only “Installable WordPress file only”
Update the theme with Envato Market Plugin
Step 1: Install the Envato Market Plugin from here https://envato.com/market-plugin/ or from theme Install Plugin Notice
Step 2: Go to Envato Market Settings and Add the API Key Connection
Step 3: Update the theme (keep in mind this process overrides your existing theme files and any modifications done in code, if they exist). Backup your files to be sure you can easily find those changes
Step 4: Update plugins (Mandatory to update Wp Rentals Core plugin which is updated with every theme update)
Go to Install Plugins
Update theme via FTP
- Place your site in maintenance mode, for this, you could use a plugin (ex. Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, … etc.)
- Go to “yoursite/wp-content/themes” folder location and backup your wprentals theme folder by saving it to your computer, or rename it (wprentals_old). Your content will not be lost but note that if you have modifications to the theme code they will be lost. You have to reapply them after the update is over.
- Connect to your FTP account using Filezilla.
- Inside Filezilla navigate to the WordPress theme directory “yoursite/wp-content/themes”.
- Retrieve the wprentals.zip file from your recently ThemeForest download and extract the file to get the updated wprentals theme folder.
- Drag and drop the new wprentals theme folder into “yoursite/wp-content/themes” and overwrite the existing files.
NOTE: make sure you don’t copy theme files inside the previous theme folder and get duplicate files.
If you had any special modifications done in the previous theme version you can copy from wprentals_old backup to new wprentals folder. But we would strongly recommend using a child theme for changes. Help https://help.wprentals.org/article/how-to-activate-child-theme/
Update the theme via WordPress
To have a backup of your previous version, access your website via FTP and rename previous theme from wprentals to wprentals_old in path wp-content/themes
Step 1. Deactivate the current wprentals theme from the Appearance > Themes section
Step 2. Activating a different theme.
Step 3. Once you activate a different theme, delete the wprentals theme. Don’t worry, your content will not be lost.
Step 4. Get the “wprentals.zip” file from your Theme Forest – Buyer account section (Installable WordPress file only). If you downloaded the “All Files & Documentation” from Themeforest, then you need to unzip the archive file you received, the wpresidence.zip will be inside it.
Step 5. Go to Appearance > Themes, choose Add New Theme, Upload the wprentals.zip and click on the “Install Now” button.
Step 6. After your upload is finished choose Activate the theme.
Step 7. Update all plugins
IMPORTANT: all your theme settings will NOT change during this process. But the language files (in wprentals/languages) folder and any other code changes you had done directly the wprentals theme folder will be deleted if you choose this method. Use the wprentals-child-po for translations to avoid this. Help https://help.wprentals.org/article/how-to-add-translated-po-files-in-child-theme/
You DON’T need a buyer license to use these plugins. We purchased an extended license we give all our clients plugin updates through theme updates. There is only one license per purchase – so only we can use this license to get the updates and then share the update with our clients.
Update the plugins by clicking on the notification in the header or from Install Plugins menu
Update the plugins only, without doing a theme update
Step1: Download the theme again from the Theme Forest account, where you initially purchased it. The download will be under your buyer account – Downloads. Download only “All files & documentation”
Step 2: Unzip the folder downloaded
Step 3: Go to plugins folder to take the latest plugins
Step 4: Disable and delete the plugins from Admin – Plugins
Step 5: Upload the new Plugins from Plugins – Add New – Upload – And activate
If you wish the plugins updates sooner than we make the theme update, open a support ticket here – http://support.wpestate.org/ and ask us for the latest plugins